Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Stompin' Grounds Revisited - Morehead State University & Other Surprises

It was bound to happen eventually.



I almost didn't do it.  Not because of a lack of desire or nostalgic yearning, but because I simply can't find the right words.  How does one look back on such things...such places, and even attempt to put them onto paper?  How can such things be quantified or described?  In short - they can't.  There's no way to relay how looking at this sign makes me feel, or the memories it invokes.

 This is where I discovered who I was...

...and coming back isn't always as simple as loading up in the car and making the drive. 

I spent 6 solid years at this place, changing majors multiple times, hitting bouts of depression worthy of mention, while also relishing in the happiest moments of my life.  It was an ever-swinging pendulum.   "Turbulent" is the word that a lot of people use to describe their collegiate experiences.  I say no, because that word loses any actual meaning when you're 18 years old, you're in a near fatal accident, and 10 weeks later, you're thrust into a setting and a lifestyle completely foreign to anything you've ever witnessed before; unique in every way.  I was on crutches, unable to walk on my own, and there I was, thrown into a brick and mortar cracker box with 220 other people that I'd never seen before, from all over the planet, without air conditioning.  I had a suitcase, and a couple cardboard boxes full of food/decorations/school supplies, and that's it.  I was on my own, with my future at stake, and I couldn't even walk.  Hooray for change, right? 

That was in August, 1999.  Flash forward to May, 2005.  I graduate with a BA in Advertising/Public Relations, with a double major in Philosophy.  I was nowhere near the top of my class, but by God, I made it.  All the things that happened in between, is MY story.  If we truly are the sum of our experiences, then a warrior am I.  In such a unique, often bizarre, fast paced environment, it really is who you know overshadowing what you know.  I was fortunate enough to have been surrounded, at almost any point after the first year, by the most amazing people I've ever known.  So many came and went...so many.  Not many understand.  Not many ever will.

 I am who I am because of these insane, rewarding experiences.  With every spur of the moment road trip, every 3 a.m. trip to Lockeegee and Smokey Valley, every exploit at The Circle, every wacky Spring Break excursion, every kind of person with every insane personality type all across the spectrum, every party that you're not suppose to know about, every single type of misadventure you could possibly think of...those things were my mold.  They forged me out of metaphorical steel just as much as learning marketing strategies, Maslow's Hierarchy, and the Socratic Method did within the walls of the classroom.  At age 34, I can honestly sit here and admit those things with confidence.  Have I changed over the last decade?  Of course.  We all grow...we all mature.










Thank God.



It's always a pleasure to return to a place which does hold so many memories, and revives so many emotions.  I don't make it back very often, but when I do, the good memories certainly win the day against the bad ones.  This time was no different, and I found my self giggling to myself quite often.  Something as simple as a flowerbed in this place has that kind of power.




 




Parking beside this particular building has a similar effect.








We arrived (yes, we) on campus this past Saturday at around 2 pm.  I actually found a parking spot on campus, which has happened approximately 7 times out of infinity.  But anyway, remember how hot it was that day?  Add about 10 degrees to that.  It was miserable.  We were no more than 5 minutes into our journey around campus, and we found ourselves dripping with sweat and having to stop for a rest.  Not even flashbacks of sleigh riding down Eagle Lake Hill, or ice cream socials on Mignon Hall's patio could cool me down.  I'm not sure what the actual temperature was, but since "Hell" isn't an official temperature recognized by the NOAA, I wont even speculate. 




 

A surreal sight, regardless.





We walked around for awhile, and were even able to go into a couple of the academic buildings.  I'm assuming they were open to be cleaned and organized for the Fall semester.  We were able to duck into Rader Hall first, just to cool off.  It still has the same smell as it did 16 years ago.  It was almost trippy, and what they say is true; smell really is the sense most closely linked to memory.








I guess that would make "sight" the second closest.  This has been here since 2000...way to be on top of things, guys.








We then exited, and walked on through the heat, which is now magnified because of the air conditioning in Rader Hall.  We knew we wouldn't make it far without having to cool ourselves again, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to snap a few pictures of the lawn in front of the library.




A statue modeled after a real life girl that I'm actually friends with.  Hi Ruby!




The moon, in scaled down approximation to the Earth.  This has been added since I've been away. 






I've often wondered...and soon, we'll all know.


 



I stood in this very spot on September 12th, 2001, and listened to one of the greatest speeches I've ever heard.





After marveling over a lot of these artifacts, we ducked into Camden-Carrol Library to marvel some more, and of course, to cool off.  Once we exited there, we went down to ADUC and looked around there for a few minutes.  I was glad to see Taco Bell and Chik-Fil-A still there, it was pretty great!  Of everything else that has came and went in that building, the fact that those two things are still holding strong, is pretty amazing and in a way, humorous.  True Americana among many nations.






Many, many nations.





It's always good to see how an older building can be redesigned and re-imagined to fit into the 21st century.  ADUC is certainly no exception.  As I walk around admiring the modern architecture, vivid flashbacks enter my mind.  I'm just astounded at how much it has actually changed.






Very astounded.





We rounded Lappin Hall and the Combs building, and took the back route to complete the loop around main campus.  As we passed the backside of Ginger Hall, a distant structure began coming into focus...











West Mignon...my home 2000-2002.


Woah...talk about changes.  How about that brick siding?  And the large cheesy, cursive "West Mignon" letters that use to don the top front of the building?  Gone.  Very modern, and a very cool look.  I hope current "Westerners" appreciate what they have.  And I hope their memories are just as good.

But wait...what's that behind it?






It's....beautiful.




Mignon Tower.  My home from 2002-2005.  No words can do this building justice.  No amount of embarrassing pictures, no amount of [thankfully scarce] videos, and no amount of my ramblings will ever get anyone who wasn't there to understand.  This wasn't just "home"....this was LIFE.  I've joked since back then, that I should have kept memoirs, and should have eventually wrote a book based on them, regarding my time there.  Perhaps I should have, but still, would it have done it justice?  Probably not.


As I gushed and reminisced, the heat was getting to be unbearable.  We had a 10 year old with us, and she was literally beginning to get sick.  So, we decided to take a short cut back to my car to finally rest for a little bit and relax.  As we limply hobbled back, I marveled at the rest of the campus off in the distance.  At the new Wellness Center, at the new Science Center, at the ROTC training structure.  At the parking lot where the God-awful Waterfield Hall use to stand.  At Eagle Lake.  I was amazed at the progress that has been made just in a few short years to make MSU truly a top contender among public universities.  I was almost jealous at how much better these kids have it than I did, but hey, those hardships were all part of the true college experience.  They help you build character and aid you in being thankful for the little things in life.  I can only hope the next generation gets that. 


We piled back into my car, and headed off campus, thankful for cool air against our faces.  Our adventure was done....








Ok, it's totally NOT done.






Any guesses where we went next?  Any idea at all?












Perhaps........food?
















Ohhh HELL YES






If you haven't already squealed and jumped out of your chair, then you're probably unfamiliar with this establishment.  For shame.  This, my dear friends....this is where magic happens.  This is where friendships are forged, paths are taken, and destinies are fulfilled.  Ok so I might be embellishing a little bit, but it's still a staple of the University, and a hallmark of the town itself.  It's some mighty good eatin' for sure, and I'm giddy as well as honored to finally be able to introduce you to this place in this capacity.  I proudly present to you....Pasquale's!



Part of the appeal of this place has always been how basic it is.  It's a true college town legend in its own right, because it never tries to be anything it isn't.  You go to the counter, order, go get your own drinks out of the fountain, and have a seat while it's being made.  A server brings it to you, you indulge, you get your own refills, you pay, and you go home.  Simple enough, right?  In a town where so many business and restaurants have came and went over the years, something we use to often joke about, this one stands firm and defiant.  It's very existence also seems to be shrouded in mystery.  There's no real 'story' about how this place came to be.  There's no hand-me-down oral traditions or any legendary tales to tell.  No origin story.  It just simply 'is', and no one has ever seemed to question that. 



We walked in, and that omnipresent, ever familiar smell hit my nostrils like a 1000 mph bullet.  I looked around, and just tried to take everything in.  This is another instance where a million memories has hit me all at once and I can't even hardly form a coherent sentence. 










Main entrance, left side, approximate seating 120-140 people.









The good ole jukebox with the same songs from the 90s, and an arcade cabinet of RC Pro-Am.  Life needs nothing else.







The ordering counter.







The still nameless unofficial mascot.











The grueling process of choosing what to order begins here...





If you haven't figured it out yet, Pasquale's is an Italian-American type joint.  For an undetermined amount of time, it has built a reputation and prided itself on having some of the best hoagies, subs, salads, pizzas, calzones, chicken fingers, pastas, and other various goodies, in the area.  It's always a debacle trying to figure out what to stuff your face with.  Don't think about trying to count calories, either.  Your head will explode.




Cleanliness:
After a few minutes of flipping through the menu, we finally decided on what to order.  I placed them for us, I got our drinks (obligatory Mt. Dew, sweet tea, and water, respectively) and we sat while enjoying each others company.  I took a quick look around, and noticed that it was still a very clean restaurant.  For a dive in a college town, that's a real accomplishment.  Everything was wiped down and well organized.  some of the tables and chairs were starting to wear from age, but in a place like this, it adds to the charm. 

Overall Cleanliness Score:  4/5




Ambiance:
There was top 40 type music playing in the background.  I think it may have even been the campus radio station, but I'm not completely sure.  The temperature was thankfully nice and cool, and the smell of all the great food filled the air.  There were several other groups in there eating as well, but they were mainly in the other, right hand section of the restaurant.  So, it wasn't over crowded at all.  Even if it had been, the tables are spread out far enough that you're not in each others faces.  There's also a couple TV's in the other section to watch games on and such.  Not a whole lot to speak of in terms of decor, but still a very cool atmosphere overall. 

Overall Ambiance Score:  4/5






Food Quality:After about 7 or 8 minutes, the server brought out our appetizer.  What he sat down in front of us on our table is hard to describe.  I've tried before, but there are just simply not enough adjectives or nouns in our language to give proper justice.


 

Pasquale's cheese fries!!!!!  OMG!!!!!! *#$%&#$#!!!



See?  It just doesn't work.  There are no accurate words.  Case closed.

Seriously though, if you've never had these, then you've never had cheese fries.  Even if you think you have, you haven't.  If you HAVE had these, then you're probably licking your screen right now.  Which is fine, if you're at home on your laptop.  If you're in public on your phone or tablet, then you're probably going to get some raised eyebrows...unless they too have had Pasquale's cheese fries, in which case they'll understand completely.


They're fried until they're golden and crispy, topped with cheddar jack cheese, crisped real bacon (not that fake crap), and scallions.  They're then BAKED for about 2 minutes, to make them even crispier and gooey at the same time.  When you bite into them, you come across another surprise.  House made ranch dressing is on the bottom layer, underneath the fries.  Most places just give you a cup of it for dipping on the side.  not here.  Nope.  It's baked right in, and it creates a flavor that has so far been unmatched anywhere else that I've been.  Needless to say, they were gone within a few short minutes.







Just awesome.




The server then brought out our main courses, which were two hand made house calzones, and a chicken strip dinner.





It's as big as your head, no joke.














Golden brown chicken strips, french fries, house garlic bread, and house coleslaw. 







I guess this is a good time to mention that any type of bread product in this place, is hand made fresh daily, and bought from a bakery that is literally next door.  It's as fresh as fresh can get, and you can see it as well as taste it with every single bite. 






EVERY...SINGLE...BITE...


The house calzones are made from the fresh dough I just mentioned, and filled with fresh mozzarella cheese, thin chopped deli ham, and a special white sauce that is difficult to describe.  I call it a 'Parmesan sauce', which is probably wrong.  It's amazing though, and it binds everything together quite amazingly.


Service:

We all thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, and were amazed with each bite at how good and fresh everything was.  Our servers were friendly and attentive.  They were very helpful with anything we may have needed.  Just college boys trying to make it, and I respect that.  We left a nice tip as we paid at the counter. 


Overall Food Quality Score:  4.5/5



Overall Service Score:  4.5/5






Do you think we went to the bakery next door, just out of sheer curiosity?










Duh.



We just couldn't resist.  We walked in, and were quite impressed with what we seen.  I tried to capture the magic in pictures.  We were only there for about 5 minutes and far, FAR too full to even consider getting anything, which is unfortunate, because everything in there of course looked amazing.






I dig it!







Very nice!







We'll call it a "study area".







Ohh dear...









Bread, bread, and more bread.  And doughnuts.







Too many goodies to mention!






Everything looked and smelled amazing, so hopefully sometime in the future when Pasquale's hasn't completely kicked my butt, I'll actually try something.  But, I felt good knowing and actually getting to see where the folks at the restaurant get their dough from.  Very cool!


We exited and we were starting to get tired.  The heat combined with eating our weight in doughy, cheesy goodness was starting to take its toll on us.  However, we just couldn't leave town without going to the world's greatest Vendor's Mall.  It's located where the old Walmart use to be at the edge of town.  It's a great time killer, lots of cool stuff to look at, and a great way to spend your money wisely and constructively.






Because everyone needs a Queensryche box set.





This entire trip was a real treat for me.  I'm one of those nostalgic-minded people to begin with, so getting to go back to visit a place that means so much to me on a personal and even spiritual level, with people I love, it's a feeling like none other.  I've had trouble finding the right words for this one...but that's ok.  Sometimes words aren't enough.  I could never even begin to fit every memory on a single blog.  I could write entire books on just a few events, so the idea of even trying to elaborate on any of them in just a few paragraphs is absurd, and it would almost be a disservice to the people who helped make that time and those memories so special.  So, for all you former Morehead folks who may be reading this, thanks for the memories, and I hope you enjoyed this little stroll.  For you current Morehead folks, school starts back in just a few weeks.  Make the best of it!  My stompin' grounds are your stompin' grounds! 












And I didn't forget about Pasquale's, either!  They get an aggregate total of:





4/5 Old-School Beakers!!



Thanks for reading, and check back often for updates on The Hillbilly Stomp!







For more info on Morehead State University, enrollment opportunities, etc., click here.

Check out Pasquale's website here.

4 comments:

  1. You think Morehead and MSU have changed since you graduated? I graduated from MSU in December of 1983 as a journalism major. Both the town and campus are almost unrecognizable from what they were back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I've seen pictures from back then, and I know a couple people who graduated around that time who have said similar things. Imagine how it will look in 15-20 MORE years? Crazy to think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated in 1990 ...Lived in Mignon Tower room 1306...Phone number was 783-HELL so everyone called the room simply HELL... Ah MSU the stories I'm glad you can't tell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, man! Wonderful, plentiful memories at MSU.

    ReplyDelete